In May, #COVID19 (a.k.a. SARS-CoV2 and #Coronavirus) is still wildly torturing the world. Although the #pandemic is slowing down, we still need to be vigilant, especially diabetes patients. Because some scientists indicate that #obesity, #hypertension and #diabetes patients might be easier to be infected by COVID-19. (The Economist, 2020) Compared to other COVID-19 patients, the lung of diabetes COVID-19 patients shows more severe pathological change. (Fig. below, Guo et al., 2020)
The reason might be the medicine of diabetes mellitus and hypertension, because these medicines can increase the number of a human cellular receptor, #ACE2, which is also the receptor for COVID-19 to infect human cells. (Fang, Karakiulakis and Rotha, 2020) However, it is really dangerous to stop taking the medication, so don’t do that.
There are some tips given from medical specialists for diabetes mellitus, except personal hygiene and avoiding the crowd. (Gupta et al.,2020)
1. It is important that people with diabetes maintain a good glycaemic control, as it might help in reducing the risk of infection and also the severity. More frequent monitoring of blood glucose levels is required.
2. Patients with diabetes and co-existing heart disease or kidney disease need special care and attempts should be made to stabilise their cardiac/renal status.
3. Attention to nutrition and adequate protein intake is important. Any deficiencies of minerals and vitamins need to be taken care of.
4. Exercise has been shown to improve immunity, but do it at home or alone.
5. It is important to take influenza and pneumonia vaccinations. The latter may decrease chances of secondary bacterial pneumonia after respiratory viral infection, however, data in present viral epidemic is not available.
Anyway, to end this pandemic, cooperation of everyone is required. Keeping good personal hygiene, avoiding the crowded place and following the government advice and roles could be helpful. The pandemic will be over soon!
Additionally, the diabetes patients who need attention to nutrition and adequate protein intake could be helped by pure-herb and made-in-USA #ERAD Plus Pre-D and #ERAD. Hope everyone is healthy! More information: https://www.lamarckbio.com/pages/diabetes